Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a nice 1992 RG550 in Lazer Blue with a Lo-Pro Edge tremolo.

Its got the stock pickups, a V8 in the bridge, a S1 in the middle, and a V7 in the neck.

What are your thoughts on these pickups? im very curious to know.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I have a S 7420 7-string that has V7 (7) and V8 (7) pickups. They sound really good live. The neck pickup especially.
They aren't the best but I plan Not to replace them. The guitar sounds great!
I have a friend that has a RG 570 and he has the same pickups you do.
He also has a S7420. He hates the sound of his RG 570 but loves the sound of his 7420. So I am curious to know as well.
It seems as though maybe the 7-string versions are better but I think it's because our 7420's are Mahogany?

·
Registered
725 Posts
they are better off swapped. they are decent but lacking in bass. i've swapped all the pickups in all my Ibanez, less my RG7620 which came with default Dimarzios...

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm. I think they are harsh sounding and not very bassy, I was afraid it was my guitar.

Would Evolutions sound good in the RG550? The only thing Im worried about is that the guitar will be too bright for them.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Gex said:
Hmm. I think they are harsh sounding and not very bassy, I was afraid it was my guitar.

Would Evolutions sound good in the RG550? The only thing Im worried about is that the guitar will be too bright for them.
I've got a 1991 RG570EG with an EVO at the bridge. Best swap I ever did. The neck pickup is just fine for most applications, I have yet to find a situation where it didn't really fit, or I'd just use one of my other guitars that did fit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i had v7/8 in my rg570 and found that they lacked character, if u know what i mean :p

swapped them for a tonezone bridge and paf-pro neck, best thing i ever did, they sound just amazing

·
Registered
49 Posts
I found them too muddy on my Rg 550, I recently removed them and replaced them with Seymour Duncan's (JB Trembucker and a Jazz Neck) It sounds a lot better now; much more definition.

I'd recommend a '59 Trembucker for the bridge instead of the JB, the JB is a little bright for Basswood...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would swap mine out (88 rg550) if I didn't already spend all my money elsewhere. I hate those original pickups with a passion, I just ended up with the guitar after a friend didn't want it anymore.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I acquired an old 570 with them. I wouldn't say they're the worst pickups I've ever owned, but they're far from the best. Totally muddy, no distinctive sound, no clarity, No coil tap capability on the humbuckers. Turn the volume down and hear your sound descend into so much mud. I ended up taking them to bits just so I could use the base plates for some new humbuckers that I made myself. The base plates were the best things about them - real solid.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
55 Posts
Everyone hears pickups differently, but I do not care for the V7/V8s. I have an Alder bodied RT450 that came with them, and I thought they were harsh and sloppy (this is already a bright and edgy sounding git. I replaced the bridge with with a Duncan JB, and there was an improvement, then with a DiMarzio PAF Pro, which was even better. With the 2 PU changes, the fundamental sound or output of the guitar didn't change much, it just got more articulate with heavier distortion. I don't play metal, so YMMV.

-Fuze

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just replaced the V7/V8/S1 in a RG 570 with a Dimarzio Air Norton, Tone Zone and Blue Velvet reverse wound single coil. I am absolutely stunned at how much better this guitar sounds. The old pickups were Ok but this is an incredible improvement. The Tone Zone in particular is an absolute sledgehammer.
i thought about this pickup swap for @ 2 years before I did it and I should have done it sooner.
I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Do any of you guys who have experience with the V7/V8 pickups also have any experience with the Infinity pickups? My RG370DX came with INF3/4 pickups and they're a major improvement to me over the powersound pickups that I've seen in other Ibanez guitars. But then, they put those V7/V8 pickups on even higher grade guitars so I just wanted to hear your opinions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I did this upgrade myself just a week ago (V7 & V8 into my RG320 in place of the INF pickups). It does sound better, but I have not tested them at band practise volume yet, so I am itching to do that! I too would like to hear other players opinions...... In my opinion they have slightly more charectar and tonal complexity, sound generally more expensive.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The v7 &v8 pickups is not bad, I like them. The V8 is a pretty hot pickup and works fine for heavy music. I would not say its the greatest humbuckers in the world but they will get the work done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts