Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
I am from holland, my english isn't fantastic. But i will try to type in good english.
Ik had bought a Ibanez s470dxqm 5 months ago.
After a while I discoverd that the neck was weak, three guitar's string were detunding all the time when i Used the Zr-tremolo.
I went back to the shop and received a new one.
That was last saturday, last week.
Now i discoverd the neck was good.
But this evening I was checking my strings if they detune.
The E,A and D string are detuning.
This happens when I pull de tremolo up( higher ). Then these strings were lower tuned, especially the E string. Low E.
And if i pull the tremolo down ( lower ) And release. Then the detunement is gone. Then the string are again at good tune.
I don't understand this. This isn't supost to happen.
The Zr-tremolo is in the good position, I followed the manual.
Does anyone know how this can happen?
If you have problems with reading my english or words, please tell.
I hope you guys know the problem because I dont want to repeat the process another time. Like it went with my previous S470DX.
It isn't nearly possible that 2 guitars are both not good?
Greetings
Tom

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
sounds like a sticky trem issue. easy way to get around the problem would be just to do a quick downwards trem bend after every upwards one to put the tuning back. otherwise, i dont know!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
at first i thought the problem might be your strings stretching - that would explain them going flat when you went sharp on the trem, but im not entirely sure. check the nut and the section on this site and ibanezrules.com for tips on how to fix a trem not returning to pitch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey! Thanks for your reactions.
The strings are already stretched.
Ik read the ibanezrules.com site. At the Tech page.
And I think thats maybe de neck?
De high E B and G do stay in tune!
The others not. The low E the most.
There are not many things to setup with a ZR-tremolo.
You got only one Nut at the backside.
The tremolo is good in position.
The Locking Nuts are locked.
And the strings at the bridge are good locked.
So the only thing good be, the neck?
I've checked the angle from the neck. And that seems good.
Do you have suggestions?
Greetings Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think is most be something solvable.
Because i don't think that two guitar have the same problem.
By the way, i putted 0.10 on it.
First there was 0.09 on it.
I raised the bridge. And turned the screw at the back, to bring the Zr back in the good position.
At the neck I didn't change something.
It was stil in the right angle.
Tom

·
Registered
15 Posts
hmm, i'm facing the same problem too, my strings kept detuning, to be exact, the low E and G.. it was really bad at first, and i thought the strings are new, so i gave them a few good tugs..but the strings are still going off..i checked everything, and the bridge is in the "equilibruim" state(not sure how to call it, cuz i'm still new with floating bridges)..still not good..thereafter, i checked the intonation, and they were all out..as after fixing the intonation, the strings do not really detune as much as before, but it still does..and i got no idea why this is happening, but i think you might wanna try and check ur intonation, it might help..

·
Vendor
26,427 Posts
A couple of tugs is no where near enough to stretch even a G string, much less a big string like a low E. Until ALL the strings are FULLY stretched, expect tuning problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
well, the strings have been in place for about 10 days, and i play them everyday, so i guess the strings are pretty stretched, but they still go out of tune, and that's puzzling..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey!
I called with the 'import man'. I told him the whole story. And he discovered in his storage also a guitar that had te same problem.
He thinks now that the problem that i'm having is the same problem with my previous s470.
So its obviously a factory mistake.
Now were managing how to handle in this situation.
I don't want to lose my guitar again for 2 months.
I'll tell you more, if I know more.
Greets
Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey

Rest assured this problem if fixable. Last time i tried restringing my S520ex both the Low E and G strings were dropping by roughly a semitone each i took it to a tech guy and they were fine for a few months until the strings started naturally loosing there tuning due to wear and tear. Ive just restrung the trem again and im getting the same problem only this time just the low E.

Im sure there is a fix to this i just dont know what it is

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

I met with the same problem. After a few hours of trying, thinking and headache, I solved it (at least it worked on my guitar). The metal plate in the locking nut, which press the string down, were a little bit worn (it a new guitar, 2 weeks old!), there were the mark of the strings in them. They couldn't lock the strings. I rotated them, rescrewed, and now, it seems it's working.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Je moet een original edge probeer. Ik heb nooit een probleem gehad...sorry voor de slechte Nederlands, Ik ben eigelijk een Amerikaan..

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's not a problem of ZR tremolo. It works very well. It was the problem of the locking nut. Which is the same as on the guitars with the Edge. :wink:

Anyway I removed the Stop Rod, and it was much more better than an Edge, because of the bearings. But I put it back, I loved it better that way. :)

·
Registered
926 Posts
I think Rich's site clearly states:

Leave the lock open.
Stretch -> tune (with head tuners) -> stretch -> tune and so on, until the strings are fully stretched.
Then you lock.
Then you tune again using finetuners.
Try a few stretches if you are still OK.

I am using Rich's method since I got my 7vwh from him and my tuning stability is awesome on all my guitars.

Stretching is really really critical guys and the method that some people use: playing and doing a few bends, is by far not enough.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts